Search This Blog

Friday, December 4, 2009

Kangna Ranaut Supports Woman Violence

Bollywood actor Kangana Ranaut is all set to play the role model for countless women who are subjected to endless harassment and are victims of domestic violence.

“Every girl at some time or the other has been subjected to eve-teasing while studying in school or college. Some girls are even chased by boys in bikes and it becomes risky for them to go to college alone. Even I faced similar problems during my school days. I was just 13 years old when boys used to hum songs behind me and it was irritating. But I never retaliated. Now I feel I should have done something about it,” said Kangana at a press conference here on Thursday.

Kangana has now extended her support to an upcoming TV serial, Mann Ki Awaaz: Pratigya, on Star Plus that deals with the same issue.

“I have been in the Hindi film industry for three years. However, I never got a chance to support any serial that takes up a social cause. Therefore, when Star Plus asked me to support this serial, I agreed. I want women to get entertained as well as understand that they must not allow themselves to get disrespected,” she said.

Kangana, who comes from a small town in Himachal Pradesh, said young women living in small cities are often bullied by men. “In metros, women are able to counter such behaviour but in the interiors they are quite vulnerable. Whether in college or at some other place, women should never allow themselves to be exploited,” she asserted.

Expressing concern over the rise in crime against women, Kangana said the country’s policy-makers must frame stringent laws to fight violence against women.

No comments: